HALT is a process used on electronic assemblies and modules to determine weaknesses and the stress limits of a product by temperature cycling and omni-axial random vibration step stress. Inherent weaknesses in a products design and build are stimulated by applying increasing levels of mechanical stress. Within an accelerated timescale, faults in a product can be realised prior to product release and preventing failures occurring during after-sale user operation, very often during the warranty period.
HALT is used as part of a products development, NOT to simulate normal to most extreme operating conditions, but to stimulate a product failure mechanism and to exceed the UUT design limits in order that weaknesses in the products design are identified and can be “designed out”.
Working together with industry expert and HALT Consultant Bob Page of Reliability Plus, Reltech provides a full HALT turn-key solution comprising:
HALT Consultancy and Planning
- HALT consultancy and training
- Product analysis
- HALT strategy/plan development
- Product drive and monitor during HALT
The complete HALT process
- Low temperature test – determine the products lowest operating temperature
- High temperature test – determine the products high temperature operating limit
- Rapid temperature cycling – increasing ramp rates within upper and lower temperature limits
- Multi-axis random vibration – increasing level to stimulate failures
- Combined temperature and vibration
- HALT result analysis
- Product design change analysis